Saturday, April 28, 2012

Celluloid #147

In Theaters


Damsels in Distress (2012) Stillman - This was my first taste of Wilt Stillman and initially I really didn't like it. This film reminds me very much of another talky white person film called Kicking and Screaming by Noah Baumbach which I hated. However, as this film progressed, I got accustomed to the rhythm of the stilted too-clever dialogue, but still didn't care very much for the story. Some saving graces for me were the dancing scenes - the tap dancing and line dancing in particular. 3/5

the Five-Year Engagement (2012) Stoller - I'm not normally one to go in for romantic comedies, but there's been such a dearth of offerings at the theater that I caved for this one. Unfortunately, this one certainly did not transcend its genre. The movie meanders quite a bit, doesn't have enough charm or laughs, and the characters make bad decisions in a way that doesn't exactly cause you to root for them. It wasn't terrible, but I think will prove to be totally forgettable. 2.5/5

In Home


the Falls (1980) Greenaway - I appreciate Greenaway's sensibilities on full display in this strange mockumentary chronicling a group of people whose last names all start with F-A-L-L. Each person is suffering from disorders related to an apocalyptic event, and these disorder often seem to center around birds in some way. I enjoyed the style and the content, but three hours is two hours too many. 3/5

Sins of the Fleshapoids (1965) Kuchar - the Kuchars reveled in B-cinema glory. This film looks pretty shitty, but in a bizarro campy way, and has an enjoyable story at its heart. In the distant future, humans have human-like servant robots called fleshapoids. Eventually one of these fleshapoids becomes fed up with his role, rebels against his master, causes chaos, and falls in love. 4/5

1 comment:

bitan the boss said...

it is good topic writingbook